Thursday, May 31, 2007

I really love your hairdo yeah, I'm glad you like mine too: see we're looking pretty cool, look at ya!


Went with Ms. Yolande to see the Dandy Warhols at the EEC last night. Damn, was that a rad show!

Though I remember enjoying songs like, "Not if you were the last Junkie on Earth" from the late 90s, it wasn't until 2002 that I really picked up on them with the release of the crazy-catchey "Bohemian Like You." (If you don't recognize the song, it's that insanely easy to get stuck in your head one from car commercials. Trust me, You've heard it.)

I went a little crazy on the Dandys in 2003-4 when "Welcome to the Monkey House" came out and then from there leapfrogged into my love for the Brian Jonestown Massacre from the documentary "Dig!" when it came out in '04.

They have quickly moved up my list of favorite bands of all-time. Not most favorite, granted, that spot will always be reserved for a little band called Radiohead, but DAMN, are their songs catchy!

The concert was fantastic. They didn't bullshit around with the crowd but pretty much stuck to playing great songs, which I appreciate, because that's what people are there for: the music. They played a nearly 2-hour set and by about midway stopped with a set list and started taking requests shouted out from the audience. Of course the bigger songs were played, and a few surprises were, too. Sadly, one of my favorites, "Get Off", wasn't played, but by the end of the evening Courtney (lead singer)'s voice was so raw he could barely speak.

The final cap that made this concert exceptional, however, was their refusal to do an encore. They played their asses off and the last song Courtney screamed his lungs out, then they left the stage, the keyboardist thanked us and sang us a quick solo, then it was over. Boom. Done. I thought it was refreshing, seeing as how this was the first concert I've EVER been to without an encore. And why not? Encores should be special, and in this day and age, they're built into the show, so that you KNOW it's coming, as the #1 radio hit has yet to be played...hmm, I wonder if they'll perform it during the encore? Pfft. Besides, I think it leads many bands to make their performances choreographed and half-assed, because they'll just wait for some screaming and adoration from the crowd before playing a song you damned well KNEW was coming. Pandering. And kind of lame. This concert? Far from it.

Fantastic.
K

No comments: