Tuesday, December 05, 2006

By the Power of Greyskull, I have the Power!!!


Do you ever like to reminisce about your childhood? Do you ever like to recklessly throw yourself back into a sweet sweet bout of nostalgia and indulge your inner child? I know I do.


It's difficult oftentimes when we grow up to face the characters we grew up with. Oftentimes we find that our imaginations made them to be much better than the shoddy animation and stilted dialogue did. Hence, it's always with a bit of caution that I revisit my childhood.


The saddest of all things is, perhaps, realizing that you don't even remember a cartoon show or muppet character whose dialogue you could, once upon a time, recite by rote.


Thankfully, last night was not one of those nights.


I had Bettsy over for Xmas cookies and tree trimming, as me mum purchased a lovely wee Tanenbaum for my apartment. As entertainment during these few hours, Bettsy brought along her newly purchased DVD: She-Ra, Princess of Power (!!!)


Now, She-Ra and He-Man were two of the (albeit fictional) characters that shaped my childhood, and it is scary to think that in one iconoclastic evening, my former dreams could be shattered by the horrendous cheese of it all. To my surprise and delight, however, I was rather impressed by the show. Granted, some of the characters are impossibly lame and the "messages" by that annoying rainbow dude at the end are trite, but overall the quality of the work had not grossly deteriorated over the past 20 years (god, it's been 20 years!!!) The same cannot be said for other favorites of mine, such as Hercules or the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles original series. Oh, Donatello, where did your wit go?


Anywho. Just thought I'd take a perambulation through memory lane. I hope everyone is excited for Xmas, which is fast approaching, and that everyone has booked off the 16th of December to come over and party at my place! Woo!


For the Honour of Love, we Have the Power So Can You......


K

No comments: