Friday, July 21, 2006

Tell me about the rabbits, George...


Having recently moved to a fabulous part of town a few weeks ago, I have been venturing into the renowned River Valley on a daily basis, usually on my walks to and from work. It never ceases to amaze me how such lush nature can be smack dab in the middle of a city and yet during rush hour the only thing I can hear on my way to work is squirrels and the *ding, ding!* of bikers as they pass. It's pretty sweet. I have seen quite a few interesting creatures I don't normally get the opportunity to see living in an apartment block. My very first walk I saw what I believe to be some sort of woodpecker, though being the expert ornithologist I am, it could very well have been a lark or something. Definitely not an owl or a magpie (wicked, evil magpies... sorry, bad experiences with magpies, specifically them ganging up on my dog back in the day...nevermind...)

The most common friend I see every morning, however, is the jackrabbit. Now, Edmonton is renowned for its near-pestilence numbers of rabbits of all shapes and sizes. You can barely turn the corner (even in the most developed areas) without stumbling upon a bushy white tail. I loves the bunnies. They're so cute, though somewhat skittish. Even the Leg, where I work, is littered (no pun intended) with them. Except these little buggers are damn near fearless. There's one I've dubbed "Bob" who is always munching grass outside of the front door of my building. Usually I walk past and he trots away under a bush, but the other day I didn't see him and nearly tripped over him on my way in the building! Tripped! On a bunny! And he just kept on munching grass and looking adorable. Damn bunnies. I love them. Now if I could only tame one and fit it into my apartment somehow....

No comments: