Thursday, August 10, 2006

Decisions = ARGH!!!!

While taking all this "time off" (ie: lazing about for a few years) between school and "the rest of my life" (ie: getting on with it, already)I figured that, somehow, inspiration would come to me and I would magically have a decision on what I would like to do with my life all sorted out and a path clearly demarcated for me on which I could go along on my merry way.

Naive? perhaps. Hopeful? Definitely. Happening? Not a chance!

So I've decided to take my life into my own hands (what a novel concept) and have been dipping my toes online into programs of interest and what I need do over the next year or two to make these dreams happen. Of course, with all my life's choices (I blame it on being a Gemini, as I am naturally of two minds about everything) I can't make a damned decision to save my life.

"But you have lots of time to decide," you'll say.

Aha. But that's what I tell myself, and lo and behold, 2008 will be here and I will still be an office bitch down at the ol' Legislature. Luckily, I've got a few ideas kicking around. Perhaps you all can help me decide, since having the opinions of others who know me well may aid in my ultimate and glorious return to the world of academia.

There are 3 main options for me:
1) Publishing at Simon Fraser (which would require mucho prerequisite studies, as I am clueless at the business side, though I could learn) Publishing Page
2) Journalism at either Ryerson or Carleton (I'm leaning towards Carleton, but only b/c I love Ottawa) Communications and Journalism
3) Masters of English

Help me out. Cast your vote!

K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kelly on making a decision! Or thinking about making a decision.... Anyway, My vote is for Communications. You could have the chance to write, be able to make lots of money (con to the English Masters), and be published (which is actually kind of a con to publishing because you tend to publish other people instead of yourself)to so many people so much easier than if you were just writing a book. Or maybe you want to write a book. But as far as I know you (which is pretty far, really), you don't have any particular thing that you want to write a book about. So I will assume that you'd rather write something other than a book.

Anyway, that's my meager 'I barely know anything about English Degrees anyhow' opinion.

I don't want you to move away, but if you're going to, then Carleton is a good choice due to the fact that you would be the 3rd person that I could go visit in Ottawa. What's with everybody moving out East anyway?

Did I mention that people should come to my party Aug. 26 anytime after 8?