Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What a difference a year makes....



This time last August I was wrapping up my solo UK tour and had left my adopted home of Dublin for good. I was thinking about this the other day as I paid the final amount on my September Europe trip with Jaboy, Nobis and Megs. As I was waiting at the counter for the girl to verify my flights, there was another girl next to me who was signing up for a SWAP (Student Work Abroad Program) trip. I couldn't help but listen in to see where she was going. She told the woman behind the counter that she had been contemplating the UK, but had decided on Ireland.

Suddenly my heart leapt up and I got a little giddy at the thought. I haven't thought about Ireland in ages. Partly to try and forget the lousy and stressful times, and partly because I've become re-settled into Canadian life again. However, seeing this girl totally brought everything back. The excitement and anticipation, the wonder of a new place, getting your Visa all set up and telling yourself that, "this is it! I'm going!" It's a thrill I had totally forgotten about.

I interrupted the girl's conversation and told her that I had lived there last year. I was really enthusiastic about it and we chatted for 10 minutes about places to go, things to see, advice, etc. I gave her my email addy and told her to write to me if she had any questions or wanted a place to stay or people to meet up with in Dublin. Strangely, this gave me pangs. I can't believe I actually MISSED the place until I met someone who was at the beginning stage of a trip. Ahh....how things change...

K

No comments: