Sunday, June 10, 2007

Online shopping will be the death of me (or, more specifically, my wallet)..

I know that the whole eBay, Amazon and whatnot has been a craze for some time now, though, until recently, I could never count myself among the millions spending their every last penny on useless bits of dried celebrity toast or some sort of used Japanese schoolgirl underpants, or something...

...not sure what it was. I tend to dip my toes in slowly when doing something online, so perhaps my lack of knowledge about most things online coupled with a complete lack of willpower kept me from allowing myself to explore the full potential of the internet's bounty....

...what really opened things up for me was travelling. When you're 1,000's of Kms away from your local branch and in need of booking planes, trains and hostels (you thought I was going to say "automobiles", weren't you? hehe....ahh, forget it....) you learn to put your faith in the encryptions of Air Canada and hope for the best (and also accept that your Visa limit is of such little value that it's not even worth stealing....) The surprising ease with which you can book ANYTHING led to me exploring my options further and further...

...though I haven't bought anything off of eBay, I've been slowly progressing through clothes, music and, my newest favorite: books online at Chapters.ca.

It began innocently enough with me coming to the determination that ordering Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in advance and having it delivered to my door made more sense that waiting in line with fifth-graders overnight. While I was ordering, the sidebar on the webpage indicated that, for any order over $40, I would get free shipping....well, I thought, I could always use more books, couldn't I?.....

...when my first package arrived in the mail it was an awesome treat. Ripping open the carton for a package of nice, shiny, unperturbed pages just waiting for me to pore over them. So I ordered again. And again. Two weeks later, I am now the proud owner of 6 new books, for which I have no room on my bookshelves and even less room on my credit card, yet I cannot help loving the insatiable high of having nifty new bits of delightful reading material delivered to my very door. Buying books in your pjs? God! I'm in Heaven!

Just had to nerd out, peace.

K

1 comment:

Unknown said...

one of my favorite things in the whole world is opening up a heavy box - then that satisfying riiip of the thick plastic wrap and the satisfaction of holding a brand new book in your hands. that new book smell, the little bits of dust on your fingers from the newly cut pages, you ask yourself "do i dare? shall i ravage her?" and then you go for it, that first craaack of the spine.


ahhhhhh.

umm, so yeah...amazon's cool or whatever.