Thursday, June 25, 2009

Off to the Big Apple!


Clever Monkey's taking a 10-day hiatus to recharge her batteries in New York City (!) from the 26th to July 6th. I may or may not upload photos or share stories, depending on how much time I wish to take away from all the fun I'm having.

Thought I'd leave you a little food for thought: the origin of the term "big apple", courtesy of a Wiki-search that led me to an interesting NYC historical website here.

Big Apple Etymology

"The Big Apple" was the catchphrase of New York Morning Telegraph [horse]track writer John J. FitzGerald in the 1920s. He picked up the term from African-American stable hands at the Fair Grounds racetrack in New Orleans in 1920. FitzGerald's first "Around the Big Apple" column, on February 18, 1924, proudly declared:

“The Big Apple. The dream of every lad that ever threw a leg over a thoroughbred and the goal of all horsemen. There's only one Big Apple. That's New York.”

The "Big Apple" racing circuit had meant "the big time," where the big money was to be won. Horses love apples, and apples were widely regarded as the mythical king of fruit.

"The Big Apple" became the name of a club in Harlem in 1934, and Harlem itself was referred to as "the Apple" at this time. "The Big Apple" was revived in the 1970s by Charles Gillett, president of the New York Convention and Visitors Bureau.

2 comments:

Sean said...

As an Apple user you will be required to visit the Apple Cube on Fifth Avenue while in the "Big Apple". And take photos of the Mothership, not everyone has the chance to see that.

Ms. Fitz said...

I'm sure it'll be on my "to do" list while I cruise Fifth looking at all the fancy things I can't afford.